Current 10th-11th GraderS
Experience all facets of college life in our High School Summer Scholars Program, open to students during the summer following their sophomore or junior year. As a participant in this selective five-week program, enroll in two undergraduate courses taught by Washington University faculty and study alongside college students. Select from a broad range of stimulating introductory undergraduate courses in the humanities, math, sciences, and social sciences, or choose from one of our suggested pre-professional course options, designed to jump start your exploration of a specific area of interest or possible career path. The credit you earn can be transferred to most accredited colleges or universities.
This can be the perfect stepping-stone to the next stage of your education!
Prepare for College Success
In your first college experience, you'll be fully supported by our College Success Seminars, Academic Support Groups, and Exploration Seminars. And after all your hard work, you'll be rewarded with social opportunities to get to know your fellow scholars and the great city of St. Louis.
Select Your Living Option
- Residential Option: Participants enroll in two undergraduate courses and live on campus as part of the precollege residential community. Living on campus allows you a full introduction to balancing social and academic involvement.
- Commuter Option: Participants enroll in two undergraduate courses while commuting from home. You will enjoy all of the supplemental academic and social programming options available to the residential students. Your program fee will include access to campus facilities such as the program residence hall, athletic facility and library, a metro pass, and a partial meal plan for times when programming extends into the evening.
For St. Louis area students interested in enrolling in just one course or for students outside of St. Louis looking for online options see High School College Access.
Choose Your Courses
- "U Pick 2" allows you to choose any two of our vast selection of introductory undergraduate courses, with exciting options in foreign languages, humanities, math and sciences, and social sciences. Visit our 2014 Course Listings for full descriptions of all your course options.
- "Pre-Professional Course Options" provide you with preselected suggestions designed to give you a glimpse into a particular area of study, such as pre-engineering, pre-medicine, pre-business, pre-law, or writing.
Session Dates for 2015
Session A: June 7-July 11, 2015
Session B: July 12-August 14, 2015
Program Fees & Scholarships
To be eligible for the High School Summer Scholars Program you should:
- Be completing your sophomore or junior in high school.
- Be at least 15 years of age by the first day of the session.
- Have an academic average of B+ or better.
- Have at least ONE of the following:
--a combined SAT score of at least 1800
--a combined PSAT of 180
--an ACT or PLAN composite score of at least 25
If you have not taken any of these tests, please submit an additional letter of recommendation from a teacher.
- As an international applicant, have an internet-based TOEFL score of at least 92, or an IELTS score of at least 7.
Acceptance into a High School Summer Scholars Program does not guarantee acceptance into Washington University.
How to Apply
The application process for the 2015 High School Summer Scholars Program has closed. If you have questions, you may contact Marsha Hussung at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for Summer 2016 will be available beginning December 1, 2015.
All International applicants should read very carefully the Guidelines for International Applicants prior to applying.
Director, Precollege Programs