Eligibility & Fees
To be eligible for a High School Summer Experience you should:
- Be a current high school sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Have an academic average of B+ or better.
- Have at least ONE of the following:
-a combined SAT score of at least 1800
-combined PSAT of 180
-an ACT or PLAN composite score of at least 25
- As an international applicant, have an internet based TOEFL score of at least 90, or an IELTS score of at least 7.
Application information and recommendation forms from teachers and counselors are considered as carefully as the academic record. It is important to note that acceptance into a High School Summer Experience does not guarantee acceptance into the university.
Fees for 2013
High School Summer Scholars: $6985 (per session)
High School Summer Institutes:
- Pre-Medical Institute: $4985
- Writing Institute: $3385
- Pre-Engineering Institute: $3385
- Global Leadership Institute: $3385
Admission and Payment
Space is limited for some of these programs, so we encourage you to apply early. If you mail your application by the Early Bird Deadline of February 15 we will waive the $35 application fee.
We will notify you of our decision three weeks from receipt of the complete application, beginning December 15. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is then required if you accept our admission offer, with the remainder of the program fee due three weeks prior to the program start date (see Calendar). Admission to one of these programs does not imply or guarantee admission to Washington University.
Partial scholarships are available to students in the High School Summer Scholars Program or the High School Summer Institutes who demonstrate financial need. In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must include a completed Application for Scholarship Assistance with your program application. We also require a copy of your parents' 2012 IRS tax return. You may wish to talk with your school counselor or others in your community concerning additional sources of potential financial assistance.
Should unforeseen circumstance require a student to withdraw from the program, we will issue a partial refund of the program fee, excluding the $500 nonrefundable deposit, as follows:
- Prior to program start date: 100% refund of program fee balance, excluding $500 nonrefundable deposit.
- During first week of program: 50% refund of program fee balance, excluding $500 nonrefundable deposit.
- After first week of program: No refund of program fee.